Once a month we’re featuring a new family-friendly dish from the Hatfields for our Kids Can Cook section. The dairy-free teen cooking star is Katherine and this week she and her mom, Sarah, have made dairy-free, vegan, allergy-friendly cinnamon streusel dessert pizza. Sarah has the pictures and details for us …
Did you know that, for the first time, the Empire State Building has turned its lights teal in honor of Food Allergy Awareness Week? That would be exciting any year, but it has special meaning for Katherine and me this year as we just returned from a wonderful (allergic-reaction free!) marching band trip to NYC.
In celebration of Food Allergy Awareness Week and The Big Apple, we’d like to share a favorite Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza recipe. This is a great food allergy recipe for us as the allergic people we cook for most often have dairy, nut and red dye allergies – all three of which are common in sweets. This dessert pizza is a free-from festive treat they can all enjoy.
We make pizza or pepperoni rolls at least once a month, sometimes more. Lately we’ve been setting aside one portion of the pizza dough to make this cinnamon streusel dessert pizza. It’s just like the pizza chains make, except quicker, cheaper, healthier, and allergy friendly! I get especially excited when we can recreate an off-limits restaurant treat at home.
This sweet treat makes family pizza night even more fun, and is easy for kids to make. In the directions we recommend mixing the streusel ingredients with a pastry cutter or fork, but most young helpers enjoy mixing the streusel with their hands before sprinkling it on the pizza crust. Glaze whisking and drizzling is another easy job for very young chefs.
Leftovers of this cinnamon streusel dessert pizza make a great coffee cake with your morning cup. In fact, Katherine often bakes up two pizzas at a time, one for dessert and one for a special breakfast. Also, if you make our six-crust pizza dough just for this recipe, the remaining dough portions freeze well. Then you can grab a crust for a dessert pizza anytime you like!
Special Diet Notes: Cinnamon Streusel Dessert Pizza
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- Dairy-free pizza crust dough, enough for one pizza (We use this dough recipe, which makes enough for six crusts, and freeze extra portions)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread (soy-free, if needed)
- For the Pizza, preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a pizza pan.
- Stretch the pizza dough to fit the pizza pan, making the dough as even as possible.
- Combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut in the buttery spread with a pastry cutter or fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Evenly spread the streusel mixture over the pizza crust.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly, still in the pan, on a cooling rack.
- For the Glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm pizza.
- Cut the pizza into eight wedges to serve.