These French toast bites are a perfect Sunday treat! Serve with fresh fruit for a bright pop of flavor. The recipe was submitted by Emily Vallozzi as a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for French toast bites uses Almond Milk Beverage from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Reader Raves: French Toast Bites
Sometimes people share feedback via social media instead of in the comments, so I add them to the post! This one is from Denise C. via Facebook (she also shared a photo):
A big hit in my house!
Special Diet Notes: French Toast Bites
For gluten-free French toast bites, use a sturdy gluten-free, dairy-free bread.
For nut-free French toast bites, swap coconut milk beverage for the almond milk beverage.
Oil Note: You can use your favorite cooking oil in place of the coconut oil, if desired. It will only slightly alter the underlying flavor, but won’t otherwise affect the results.
Think eggs are dairy? You’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 10 thick slices of slightly stale white Italian bread (1-inch/2.5-cm thick)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Almond Plus Milk Beverage
- Pinch salt
- Pinch nutmeg
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- Maple syrup for dipping
- Cut the crust off the bread, then cut each piece into equal cubes. Spread half of the bread cubes onto a baking sheet or jelly roll pan.
- Whisk the eggs, milk beverage, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon.
- Melt half the coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour half of the milk mixture over the bread cubes on the baking sheet and moving quickly, toss to coat all of the pieces. Place the pieces in the preheated pan and cook, flipping as needed to brown on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the bread cubes to the sugar mixture, and toss to coat each piece. Place the pieces on a serving plate.
- Repeat with process with the remaining bread cubes, egg mixture and cinnamon sugar.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup for dipping.