Though this may seem like summer fare, naturally dairy-free coleslaw carries over into the cooler months, when cruciferous vegetables like cabbage come into season. The key to my mom’s classic coleslaw is its simple, traditional dressing and finely shredding the cabbage with a knife. You can use a store-bought cabbage / coleslaw blend, but I do prefer the ones with fine shreds.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mom’s Classic Coleslaw
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
For soy-free and dairy-free classic coleslaw, choose your mayonnaise wisely. There are olive oil and grapeseed oil options for both regular and vegan mayonnaises.
- Half a head of cabbage, finely shredded (about 4 cups)
- ½ cup mayonnaise or Vegenaise (for an egg-free / vegan option)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Poppy seeds or celery seeds, to taste
- At least one hour before serving the coleslaw, mix the mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar in a bowl.
- Toss the cabbage in the dressing.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds or celery seeds, if desired.
- Refrigerate until serving.