This hearty recipe for dairy-free turkey pot pies was submitted by Marisa Raponi for a So Delicious recipe contest that we held four years ago. It was classified as a great winter dinner, but we also think it’s a delicious way to enjoy Thanksgiving leftovers! It uses not only turkey or tofurky, but also leftover gravy (with a broth option), and a bin full of vegetables. I’ve just updated this post to include vegan, gluten-free, and soy-free options plus more helpful notes and tips.
Perfect Puff Pastry Options for Dairy-Free Turkey Pot Pies
There are several brands of dairy-free and egg-free puff pastry in stores. In fact, everyday brands like Pepperidge Farm are vegan.
However, most do contain soy in some form (usually soy oil or soy lecithin). Nonetheless, there are a few soy-free options out there. And you can make your own with this Vegan Puff Pastry Recipe and dairy-free, soy-free butter alternative.
For gluten-free dairy-free turkey pot pies, look for gluten-free and dairy-free puff pastry or pie crust – there are actually quite a few on the market! Or make your own with this Gluten-Free Puff Pastry Recipe.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Turkey Pot Pies
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally soy-free. It also includes an option for vegans and vegetarians!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, trimmed and sliced into rings
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 celery rib, diced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour)
- 1 cup leftover gravy or broth (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, plus additional for brushing
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups diced, cooked turkey or Tofurky (for vegan and vegetarian)
- 1 package defrosted puff pastry (see Puff Pastry Options in post above)
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the leek and sauté until soft. Add the potatoes, celery, green pepper, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with the flour and stir to cook through. Whisk in the broth or gravy and continue to stir as it thickens.
- Whisk in the milk beverage, thyme, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
- When the mixture thickens slightly stir in the frozen peas and corn.
- Turn the heat off, stir in the turkey or Tofurky, and let the filling cool to room temperature.
- Roll the pastry to a ¼-inch thickness and large enough to cut out 4 circles to cover 4 single-serve baking dishes.
- Spoon the filling into your baking dishes, and stretch the pastry over top to cover. Brush the pastry with a little milk beverage.
- Place the pot pies on a baking sheet and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden.