This hearty dairy-free turkey pot pie is a “main course” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Marisa Raponi. For the creamy filling, she uses the Coconut Milk Beverage or Almond Plus AlmondMilk (for a little extra protein!) from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Turkey Pot Pie
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free. Note that many brands of puff pastry are dairy-free and egg-free. Just be sure to check the ingredients. Most brands do use soy oil in some form, but there are a few soy-free options out there – read the labels! Another option is homemade. This vegan puff pastry recipe is easily soy-free with a soy-free, dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance) or some use coconut oil.
For gluten-free, seek out a gluten-free and dairy-free puff pastry or pie crust (there are actually quite a few on the market!) to top your dairy-free turkey pot pie, or make your own with a recipe like Vicky’s Gluten-Free Puff Pastry.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, washed, sliced into rings
- 2 peeled, diced potatoes
- 1 celery rib, cubed
- 1 green pepper, seeded, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup leftover gravy or broth
- 1 cup Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk Beverage or AlmondMilk, plus additional for brushing
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups diced, cooked turkey
- 1 package defrosted puff pastry (see note in post above)
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the leek and sauté until soft. Add the potatoes, celery, pepper, and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with flour and stir to cook through. Add the broth or gravy and continue to stir as it thickens. Whisk in the milk beverage, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- When the mixture thickens slightly add the frozen peas and corn. Stir to coat and turn the heat off. Stir in the turkey and let the filling cool to room temperature.
- Roll the pastry to a ¼-inch thickness and large enough to cut out 4 circles to cover 4 single-serve vessels.
- Spoon generous portions of the filling into single-serve ovenproof dishes.
- Stretch the pastry over the opening of dish to cover. Brush the pastry with a little milk beverage and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place the pot pies on a baking sheet and bake until lightly golden brown, approximately 40 to 45 minutes.