This recipe offers a slight twist on tradition – homemade apple fritters spiked with a triple dose of coconut: the visual topping you see, a dairy-free dulce de leche made from coconut milk beverage, and a trio of coconutty ingredients within the apple fritters themselves! The recipe is a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Maria Joe Hema.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for coconut apple fritters uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Apple Fritters
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
For soy-free, dairy-free apple fritters, be sure to use an oil for frying that is soy-free and good for high heat. Vegetable oil is often made with soybean oil.
Not a coconut fan? I think this recipe for apple fritters is pretty darn versatile could easily go coconut-free. Simply use almond milk beverage in place of the coconut, omit the coconut flakes (or perhaps sub in sliced almonds?!,) and you could even use another oil in place of the coconut oil, but it really doesn’t impart much taste on the final result.
- 4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 cup golden brown sugar, packed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled lightly
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, cut into quarters and each quarter cut crosswise into ¼ inch slices
- 3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Add the milk beverage, brown sugar and salt to a medium non-stick saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat so the milk beverage is at a constant low boil (without boiling over). Stir often with a wooden spoon and continue to cook until it is thick and reduced to ¾ cup, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Transfer the dulce de leche to a bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ½ cup of the coconut flakes in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, milk beverage, and ¼ cup of the dulce de leche in another bowl.
- Add to the flour mixture along with the apples and stir until it just comes together.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a 9-inch cast iron skillet until it reaches 350ºF. Drop ¼ cup measure of batter into the oil and fry for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Let the fritters cool for 5 minutes.
- Drizzle coconut dulce de leche on top of the fritters and sprinkle remaining ½ cup coconut flakes. Serve immediately.
These look so delicious – Apple desserts are my favorite!
hmm, I may have to play with this recipe to make an eggless version – Jason LOVES apple fritters, and this one sounds incredible!
If you do, I’ll be eager to see it!
I can’t wait to see it if you do!
Oh my goodness, those look yummy! Apple fritters are the best! I know those would not last very long in my house…I’d have to hide one for myself!