French toast can seem tricky without eggs, but this flavorful coconut banana vegan French toast works well. It’s more moist than your average eggy recipe, but has a crisp exterior and a wonderful naturally sweet flavor. The recipe was originally shared with us by Jackie of the Vegan Diet. She adapted it from what is now Spruce Eats.
Coconut Banana Vegan French Toast that’s Moist and Flavorful
If you are worried about it being too moist, you can add a little starch, about 1 tablespoon, to the batter. Also, if you prefer less coconut flavor, you can add a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the batter.
As is, the flavor of this coconut banana vegan French toast isn’t too pronounced, and lends itself to all types of toppings. We like fresh fruit, shredded coconut, drizzly nut butter, maple syrup, or a drizzle of agave nectar.
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Banana Vegan French Toast
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup coconut milk (regular, full-fat, canned)
- ¾ cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ teaspoon sugar or your sweetener of choice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 8 slices vegan bread
- Dairy-free buttery spread or oil, for frying
- Put the coconut milk, milk beverage, bananas, sweetener, and cinnamon in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow pan or pie tin. Add the bread, in batches, and let is soak for about 30 seconds per side.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat and add a little buttery spread or oil. Add the dipped bread, in batches, and cook a few minutes on each side, or until golden.