This wonderful, family-friendly dinner recipe for coconut curry shrimp and grits was the grand-prize winner in the main course category of our previous Dairy-Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, sponsored by So Delicious Dairy Free. We had posted the recipe previously in our news section with the other winning recipes previously, but wanted to give it a more deserving home in the recipe section.
This recipe with photo was created and shared with us by Kadija B. of Spice Lime, who says, “You’ve never had shrimp and grits this good!”
Our tasters agreed. This flavorful Indian-inspired dish has a fun Southern flair, using coconut milk beverage in both the sauce and the grits! I’ve added these curried chicken skewers to Sarah’s Recipe section, as she was one of the testers who approved this recipe as big-time winner
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Curry Shrimp and Grits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ lime, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup old-fashioned grits
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Combine the shrimp, lime juice, garlic, chives, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients, cover, and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the seasoned shrimp and curry powder. Sauté until the shrimp is pink on both sides, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk beverage and brown sugar. Let simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and remove from the heat.
- Add the coconut milk beverage and water to a medium pot, and bring to a rapid boil over medium heat. Slowly stir in the grits and salt. Reduce the heat to low and cover. Let cook until thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Divide the grits between 4 plates and spoon the curry shrimp with sauce over top to serve.