These chocolate-glazed donuts are baked, not fried, and are almost too easy to make! For an added twist, they are spiked with both coconut and lime, a combo that goes surprisingly well with chocolate. If you really want to get crazy, sprinkle on just a touch of coarse sea salt, too!
The recipe for these chocolate-glazed donuts was submitted by Kim Van Dunk as a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (entries are now closed, but the winners will be announced on that post!).
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for chocolate-glazed donuts uses Cultured Coconut Milk and Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious Dairy Free.
According to Kim: “My kids love donuts. It’s kind of ironic because we never have them around the house. These “donuts” really are more of a cake than a donut. They are merely baked in a donut tin. It’s a little mom trickery! My kids don’t care. To them, they’re chocolate-glazed donuts, and they love them. I love them because there is no frying involved.”
Special Diet Notes: Coconut Lime Chocolate-Glazed Donuts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian. For allergen-safe chocolate-glazed donuts, just make sure you choose an allergy-friendly brand of chocolate chips, such as Enjoy Life.
Confuse eggs with dairy? You’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 1 (6-ounce) container So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Cultured Coconut Milk
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon So Delicious Dairy Free Lite Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime zest
- 1 cupfinely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1¾ cup all-purpose sorghum flour (you can use an equal amount of all-purpose, unbleached wheat flour, if preferred)
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Lite Culinary Coconut Milk
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime zest
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and generously grease a 6-well donut pan.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the coconut yogurt, eggs, sugar, lime juice, coconut milk, and lime zest until frothy. Stir in the coconut.
- Sift the flour, starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. into a bowl Gradually stir the dry ingredients into the wet until just combined.
- Fill each cavity in the donut pan with ¼ cup of the batter and bake for 15 minutes.
- Run a knife around the edges of the donuts and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the coconut milk into a saucepan and warm it until just shy of a simmer. Turn off the heat. Stir in the chocolate chips and lime juice. Whisk until smooth.
- Either dip the top of the donut in the chocolate glaze or use a spoon to cover the top of the donut. If desired, you can double dip the donuts in the glaze (hey, this may be the only time that it is okay to double dip). Sprinkle with lime zest. Allow to set. To speed setting you can place the donuts in the refrigerator until the glaze is set.
Hello, I like this recipe but can I deep fry these donuts??? Thanks
No idea! Let me know if you try it 🙂
Oooh, I’ll take one! Those sure do look delicious! Must share, of course. 🙂
Absolutely love this flavor combination!
I’m really intrigued by the combination of lime and chocolate; I’ve never had them together! This recipe sounds so great; thanks for sharing!