For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cookies ‘n Ice Cream Brownie Bars
By ingredients, this brownie bars recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and vegetarian. It is easily soy-free if you keep an eye on the cookie ingredients and swap the oil. Many vegetable oils are soy-based, but canola, grapeseed, or rice bran oil will work in a pinch.
Note that many brands of chocolate sandwich cookies are indeed, dairy-free! When in budget (read: on sale), I get the ones from Late July.
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Almond Milk Cookies N’ Cream Ice Cream, melted
- ¾ cup chopped dairy-free chocolate cream sandwich cookies
- 3 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Almond Milk Cookies N’ Cream Ice Cream, softened
- 1-1/2 cups dairy-free chocolate cream sandwich cookies, crushed into coarse crumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Generously spray the inside of an 8-inch square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, place your oil, sugar, eggs, and cocoa powder. In a small bowl, dissolve instant coffee with the water. Pour coffee in the bowl with the other ingredients, and stir together on medium until it comes together smoothly.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl with the wet ingredients. Stir on low until just combined, cleaning down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Pour the melted ice cream into the bowl with the batter, stir to combine, then fold in the chopped cookies.
- Pour batter into the pan, and spread evenly with your spatula until it fills all corners of the pan. Place in preheated oven and bake 15-20 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove pan from oven, and let cool to room temperature.
- Once brownies have completely cooled, scoop your softened ice cream on top of the brownies. Working quickly, smooth ice cream down over brownies until completely covered, and then sprinkle with crushed cookie crumbs, pressing down lightly to adhere to ice cream.
- Cover the pan tightly, and place in freezer for 1-2 hours, or until ice cream is solid. To serve, slice into 12 bars and top with dairy-free coconut whipped cream and a halved chocolate sandwich cookie, as desired.