Alisa Fleming ~ Some of you might assume cobbler is a fall dessert, but it is a four-season treat in my opinion. As spring and summer set in, what better way is there to enjoy a cool and creamy scoop of dairy-free ice cream than atop an apple crisp or gluten-free cobbler, like this one …
This recipe was shared with us by So Delicious Dairy Free and created by my friend, Amie Valpone. Like me, Amie loves to put oats in just about every baked goodie. Her hearty gluten-free cobbler is like a cross between a crispy crumble and a biscuit topping. She also opts to swap some of the sweetener for a stevia blend to keep the sugars low. If you aren’t a stevia fan, you can use the granulated sweetener of your choice.
If you don’t have a need for a gluten-free cobbler, you can substitute regular all-purpose flour or whole wheat pastry flour for the gluten-free all-purpose flour. Note that this gluten-free cobbler recipe is also vegan and soy-free, particularly if you use a coconut-based dairy-free ice cream like So Delicious, and their almond or coconut milk beverage. Click here for a So Delicious Coupon
And there is no need to feel married to the fall fruits. If you can’t find apples and cranberries locally, or prefer a sunnier fruit, peaches and other stone fruits would be an amazing base for this gluten-free cobbler.
- 8 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine
- ½ cup stevia baking blend (or sugar, if desired)
- 2 cups gluten-free oats
- 2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup So Delicious® Dairy Free Almond Plus Almond Milk Beverage (for nut-free try So Delicious® Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage and see this post if concerned about coconut and nut allergies)
- 1 cup So Delicious® Dairy Free Coconut Milk Ice Cream, for topping
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Combine the apples and cranberries in a large glass baking dish.
- In a large bowl, blend the butter, stevia, oats, flour, baking powder, vanilla, spices, and sea salt. Stir in the maple syrup and milk beverage.
- Drop the cobbler mixture by the spoonful onto the apples and cranberries. Pat down cobbler mixture and sprinkle with additional stevia, if desired.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven, and let it cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Top with a scoop of So Delicious dairy-free ice cream, if desired.