This recipe for creamy broccoli pasta is a “15 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman.
Christina says, “My friends think of this dish as a cheesy alfredo pasta. You can’t go wrong when a dairy free recipe is being called cheesy. Enjoy it and share with the world!”
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Broccoli Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. For soy-free creamy broccoli pasta, be sure to use a dairy-free and soy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple).
- 3 cups dried short pasta
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced (roughly ½ cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- Beurre manié (2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons dairy free margarine)
- ½ cup pine nuts
- Pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a medium pot, bring coconut milk to a boil with garlic, onion, basil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and broccoli. Bring to a boil and continue to cook on high for 5 minutes.
- To make a beurre manié paste blend flour and margarine in a bowl with a fork until fully combined.
- Reduce the heat of the sauce to medium. Whisk the beurre manié into the sauce little by little, allowing the sauce to thicken a bit before adding more.
- Toss cooked noodles with thickened sauce and serve into bowls.
- Top with pine nuts. Serve with a salad and enjoy!