This recipe for creamy broccoli pasta is a “15 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. For the creamy sauce, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Christina says, “My friends think of this dish as a cheesy alfredo pasta. You can’t go wrong when a dairy free recipe is being called cheesy. Enjoy it and share with the world!”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Broccoli Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. For soy-free creamy broccoli pasta, be sure to use a dairy-free and soy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple).
- 3 cups dried short pasta
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced (roughly ½ cup)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups small broccoli florets
- Beurre manié (2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons dairy free margarine)
- ½ cup pine nuts
- Pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a medium pot, bring coconut milk to a boil with garlic, onion, basil, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper and broccoli. Bring to a boil and continue to cook on high for 5 minutes.
- To make a beurre manié paste blend flour and margarine in a bowl with a fork until fully combined.
- Reduce the heat of the sauce to medium. Whisk the beurre manié into the sauce little by little, allowing the sauce to thicken a bit before adding more.
- Toss cooked noodles with thickened sauce and serve into bowls.
- Top with pine nuts. Serve with a salad and enjoy!