This recipe for creamy coconut pie is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Michelle Hendrickson. To qualify, the recipe includes Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage and Coconut Creamer by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Creamy Coconut Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian. For a soy-free creamy coconut pie, be sure to select a dairy-free margarine that is also soy-free (Earth Balance makes a couple of varieties).
- 1 + ¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage, divided
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free French Vanilla Coconut Creamer
- 1 prepared dairy-free pie crust of choice (optionally gluten-free; Michelle used a graham cracker crust)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine (Michelle uses Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Dairy-free whipped cream*, optional
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes**, optional
- Pour 1 cup coconut milk beverage, coconut creamer and sugar to a saucepan, and bring to a simmer while whisking.
- In a separate bowl whisk the 2 eggs. Temper the simmering hot milk mixture into the eggs whisking constantly. Pour the egg mixture into the saucepan while whisking.
- In a bowl, whisk the remaining ¼ cup coconut milk beverage with the cornstarch until dissolved. Whisk into the saucepan. Bring to a boil while constantly mixing, then reduce to a simmer. Continue to whisk while cooking for 4 minutes. Filling should be thick. Whisk in the margarine and nutmeg. Remove from heat.
- Pour coconut mixture into the prepared crust. Refrigerate at least 3-4 hours.
- Top with dairy-free whipped cream and toasted coconut, if desired.
**To toast coconut flakes, spread on a baking sheet in a 300ºF oven, and bake until lightly browned, checking in to stir every 2-3 minutes.