Dips are such an easy way to spice up any snack or meal. I love experimenting with different flavors of spreads to keep things interesting throughout the week. But this easy eggplant dip has been my latest go to during busier weeks. It’s velvet-y, rich, and full of robust flavor from the baked eggplant. And the yogurt gives it such a nice creaminess. I’ve been enjoying with pita and vegetables as well as on vegetable packed sandwich!
This eggplant dip recipe was originally shared with us by Olympic. However, they no longer make dairy-free yogurt. So feel free to use your favorite unsweetened dairy-free yogurt. I like Forager’s Dairy-Free Cashewgurt Yogurt and So Delicious Dairy-Free Coconutmilk Yogurt for recipes like this one.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Eggplant Dip
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, optionally paleo, and optionally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 lb. eggplant
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dill, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon. lemon juice
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- optional toppings: 1 thinly sliced onion, olive oil, paprika
- Bake the eggplant on a sheet of foil for 1 hour or until the inside is soft and the skin has collapsed. Let cool
- Scrape out the insides of the eggplant into a large bowl and mash or beat with a mixer.
- Add the minced onion, garlic, dill, lemon juice and yogurt and blend well. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and chill thoroughly.
- For an onion topping, sauté onion slices in olive oil until lightly browned. Spoon on top of the chilled eggplant dip.
- For a rich olive oil topping, drizzle the top of the dip with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.
- Serve with crackers, corn chips, or vegetables.