This recipe for creamy farfalle pasta is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Mildred Lynn Caruso. To qualify, the recipe used Cultured Almond Milk (Yogurt) by So Delicious Dairy Free. Unfortunately, that product is no longer available (2020 update!), but you can use another dairy-free yogurt, sour cream, or blend 1/2 cup cashews with water to make a cream.
This creamy farfalle pasta is a quick and easy vegetarian meal, packed with sautéed asparagus, mushrooms, and crisp walnuts. All is topped off with lemon-soaked parsley.
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Farfalle Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
- Sea salt
- 1 lb farfalle pasta (gluten-free, if needed)
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped or smashed garlic
- 1 pound Cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 pound thin asparagus, trimmed, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free yogurt alternative or sour cream alternative
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ cup + ¼ cup walnuts, toasted, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup chopped parsley tossed in lemon juice
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and sauté until tender and most of the juices have evaporated, about 5 minutes.
- Add the asparagus and sauté until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the farfalle. Stir in the yogurt or sour cream and nutmeg coating the pasta, adding the reserved cooking liquid ¼ cup at a time as needed to moisten. Stir in ½ cup of walnuts. Season the pasta, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Mound the pasta in a large bowl. Sprinkle with the lemon flavored parsley and remaining ¼ cup of walnuts.
where does the garlic come in?
Good question. This isn’t one of our in-house recipes – it was from a recipe contest. But I’ve added an instruction for the garlic that will work with this recipe.
That So Delicious product is no longer available. What else could be used for this recipe?
They still have almond milk yogurt, just not the greek kind. You could try any of the following: Greek Coconut Milk Yogurt, unsweetened coconut milk yogurt, light or full-fat canned coconut milk (like the Culinary Coconut Milks from So Delicious), or homemade cashew cream.