This recipe for creamy garlic & mushroom pasta is an indulgent but nutritious entree created by the amazing Nicole Dawson for our upcoming dairy-free menu plan for this year’s 21 Day Dairy-Free Challenge sponsored by So Delicious. The Challenge runs from January 23rd to February 12th, but you can still sign up for some great goodies. They’ll send you new coupons, dairy-free tips, a shopping list, snack guide, and more!
Nicole Dawson is the author, photographer & recipe developer behind Allergylicious, an allergy-friendly food blog. She is also a wife, a mom to 3 beautiful children (10,13 & 17) and works as a Certified Health Coach in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Her passion for the food allergy community ignited when her youngest was diagnosed with life threatening allergies to Dairy, Eggs & Nuts before his 1st birthday.
After that diagnosis, Nicole went back to school to further her education in nutrition and to become a health coach. As a result, she works with families to provide support, education & resources for those with living with food allergies. Nicole has also spent countless hours in the kitchen, “tweaking” family favorites and creating other recipes she knew her son would love. For her, every child and adult should be able to sit at the table and enjoy a cupcake without fear of harm. Food is a pleasure to be enjoyed by all, even for those with food restrictions.
You could never go wrong with creamy garlic sauce on top of sauteed mushrooms! This delicious, dairy-free dish is sure to become your next favorite comfort food.
When my family started eating dairy-free, almost 10 years ago, I would never have imagined being able to eat another rich dish like this creamy mushroom pasta. Although I can no longer order something like this at our favorite restaurant, I simply learned how to make it at home. Of course, meals like this are all about having the right ingredients, and I often enlist the help of So Delicious Dairy Free products. They have been our “go-to” dairy alternative brand since my son’s food allergy diagnosis and have made life in the kitchen 100% easier.
We all have a story and reason to go dairy-free. Maybe you started with a 21-Day Challenge like this one to see how your body felt after ditching dairy. Or maybe it’s been a lifetime commitment due to a medical condition. Whatever that reason, my desire is to help make it a little more delicious for you along the way.
That’s where this recipe comes in.
In my creamy garlic & mushroom pasta, I used a combination of garlic, thyme, white cooking wine and So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage. It results in the most delightful sauce. I could easily lap it up with a spoon, it’s so darn yummy! This sauce pairs so well with the earthiness of sautéed mushrooms and salty bacon that you won’t be disappointed! Atop your favorite al dente pasta, it’s truly a recipe that will put others to shame. For an extra touch of decadence, sprinkle this creamy mushroom pasta with fresh parsley, crushed red pepper and a heavy hand of vegan parmesan to finish. OH MY GOODNESS, IT”S SO GOOD!
Rich & creamy, rustic & salty, who could resist all of those flavors on one plate? This meal is so flavorful and filled with so many delicious ingredients! Garlic, button mushrooms, portobello mushrooms, and “bacon” all cooked in a creamy wine sauce. It’s ultra creamy and absolutely delicious! You won’t even realize its dairy-free. That’s right, completely DAIRY-FREE!
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine pasta (use gluten free, if needed)
- 4 tablespoons dairy free buttery spread, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms, sliced and cut into large bite-size pieces
- 1 package bacon, cut into small pieces (I used vegan bacon)
- 2 tablespoons flour (all purpose, whole wheat or gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup white cooking wine
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk beverage (I use So Delicious)
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Additional liquid (coconut milk, water, or broth), as needed
- ⅛ cup fresh parsley, or more to taste
- Red pepper flakes, for topping (optional)
- Dairy-free Parmesan, for topping (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to package. Drain & then drizzle with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- While the noodles are cooking, melt 2 tablespoons of the buttery spread in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, bacon, and 1 tablespoon of the garlic, and saute for 5 to 7 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of buttery spread to your pan and let melt. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of garlic, and just briefly saute until fragrant.
- Sprinkle in the flour and thyme, and stir to incorporate. Stir in the wine and let cook down for a minute.
- Whisk in the the coconut milk beverage, and simmer until thickened. If the sauce seems too thick, whisk in a little more liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Toss the garlic mushroom sauce with the cooked pasta. Sprinkle with fresh parsley. Top with crushed red peppers and/or vegan parmesan, or serve them on the side at the table.