This creamy garlic soup recipe was originally shared with us by Pacific Foods about 12 years ago. My how time flies! We’ve given the post a full overhaul, and updated the ingredients and instructions for clarification. But the core recipe remains the same. The rich base is made from a deliciously rich blend of roasted garlic, almonds, and breadcrumbs.
Special Diet Notes: Garlic Almond Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian.
- 6 heads garlic
- Salt, as needed
- Black pepper, as needed
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ cup almonds (preferably blanched and toasted)
- ½ cup breadcrumbs (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 cup unsweetened dairy-free almond milk beverage
- 7 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Crusty bread, dairy-free croutons, and/or chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Split the garlic cloves in half, width-wise and place them cut sides down on a heavy baking sheet lightly coated with oil and salt and pepper.
- Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil over the garlic and roast for about 20 minutes, or until the garlic is soft and will squeeze out easily from the skin.
- Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and pop the sheet in the oven to toast until golden brown and dry, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Reduce the heat to low, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Season the onions lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place the almonds and toasted breadcrumbs in your food processor or spice grinder and process until very finely ground. Transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add cooked onions and garlic to the food processor and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Add the broth and milk beverage to a large pot, and bring the liquid just to a boil.
- Place 2 cups of the hot liquid in your blender. Add the ground almonds, bread, and onion-garlic puree to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk the blended mixture into the remaining broth in the pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Optionally serve with crusty bread, top with croutons, or garnish with parsley to serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze the soup to enjoy later.
Pin this Creamy Garlic Soup Recipe!