So before the best fruits slip away and we find ourselves smack dab in melon season, enjoy some kiwis sliced for a snack, or in this lovely and rich dairy-free, gluten-free, wheat-free, soy-free, and nut-free clafoutis from Foods Matter Magazine. It is a very simple but warming dessert when the evenings are still cold.
Recipe and photo reprinted with permissions from Foods Matter (March 2009 issue), the now online magazine for food allergies and intolerances.
- 2 large tart cooking apples, cored and sliced
- 5 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp fresh or dried cranberries, pomegranate seeds,
- red currrants or blueberries
- 3 small eggs
- 11/2 tbsp agave syrup or pale muscovado sugar
- 13/4 cups coconut milk
- Heat the oven to 170C/ 325F/Gas Mark 31/2.
- Lay the sliced apple out in a flan dish and cover it with the sliced kiwi fruit.
- Sprinkle over the loose fruit.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with the agave syrup or sugar and the coconut milk.
- Pour this over the fruit and bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until the custard is set.
- Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.