Late summer into early fall brings an abundance of eggplant, zucchini, and bell peppers to gardens and grocery stores. And what better way to enjoy them together, than in a creamy roasted vegetable soup?! The flavors beckon to the Mediterranean, and the ingredients are simple and plant-based. In fact, you won’t even need any dairy alternatives to make this delicious potage.
This Creamy Roasted Vegetable Soup is made Purely with Plants
It’s true, you don’t even need dairy-free milk beverage. This naturally paleo and allergy-friendly recipe uses water and vegetable broth for liquid, and the vegetables themselves for the “cream.” But, if you want a creamier finish, you can certainly use unsweetened milk beverage or even lite or regular coconut milk (it’s tasty with these vegetables) in place of the water.
This recipe was originally shared with us from The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen by Donna Klein. Today, we’re updating this post in our recipe section to make it easier to find!
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Roasted Vegetable Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, paleo, and vegetarian. Just make sure to select a vegetable broth that suits your dietary needs.
- 1 small eggplant (about 8 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium zucchini (about 8 ounces), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper (about 6 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green bell pepper (about 6 ounces), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion (about 6 ounces), cut into small chunks
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled but left whole
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup water, plus additional as necessary
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium vegetable broth
- Preheat your oven to 450°F.
- Place the place the eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onion, and garlic in a casserole dish or a baking sheet with high sides. Add the oil and toss well to thoroughly coat. Sprinkle with the oregano, salt, and pepper and toss again to evenly distribute the seasonings.
- Bake the vegetables for 15 minutes, or until they are beginning to char. Stir the vegetables, and bake for an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until lightly charred.
- Transfer the vegetables to your food processor or blender, and add the 1 cup water. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture to a pot, and stir in the vegetable broth. Place the pot over medium heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until hot and the flavors have melded.
- Add more water or broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Season the soup to taste with additional salt and/or pepper, if needed.
This recipe was originally reprinted with permissions from the cookbook The Gluten-Free Vegetarian Kitchen.