A few weeks ago, I posted a delicious Vegan Grilled Mexican Street Corn Recipe that was shared with us by Violife. Today, I have another barbecue-worthy recipe from their chefs, but this one is for a plant-loaded Brussels sprouts slaw with creamy vegan dressing. Yes, mayo coleslaw is usually dairy-free. But this is a tasty twist that is also top allergen-free (no eggs, soy, etc). Because we like mixing things up!
Creamy Vegan Brussels Sprout Slaw for a BBQ Side or Healthy Lunch
You can enjoy this Brussels sprout slaw with almost any grilled main, but it also makes a great lunchtime bowl, topped with your protein of choice. The base includes hearty brussels and cabbage, which hold up better than regular salad greens. You can easily make this mix the night before, but I would add cilantro just before serving. It’s a bit more delicate than the other ingredients.
This recipe uses Violife brand cream cheese alternative, which makes it not only vegan, but also top allergen-free. Using another brand will change the ingredients and nutrition facts a little. Also, keep in mind that Violife’s tub is just over 7 ounces. Other brands might vary a little in size.
Special Diet Notes: Creamy Brussels Sprout Slaw
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 10 Brussels sprouts, finely sliced or shredded
- 1 small red cabbage, grated
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 carrot, grated
- 3 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 tub plain dairy-free cream cheese alternative (like Violife Original)
- ¼ cup wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes or chili paste (optional)
- Toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- In a large bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts, cabbage, peas, coriander, carrot, and spring onions.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the cream cheese alternative, wine vinegar, olive oil, agave, ginger, garlic, and chili flakes, if using.
- Pour the dressing one the slaw, and toss to combine. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, if desired.