This Creamy White Bean Chili recipe was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest!
Recipe By: Pam Georges
- ¼ cup dairy-free margarine / buttery spread
- ½ small onion, diced (or more to taste)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- Salt, to taste
- White pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- 40 oz. mock chicken broth
- 4 15-oz. cans organic white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 large bay leaf
- Cornstarch mixed in a little water to thicken (a lot or a little--your preference)
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- Melt dairy-free margarine in a medium-large stockpot. Add onions and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add diced carrot, salt, white pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Add mock chicken broth, beans, and bay leaf; bring to a boil, lower heat, partially cover and simmer for about 40-60 minutes, gently stirring occasionally (so the beans do not get mashed).
- Remove the bay leaf. Bring to a boil, add cornstarch/water mixture to thicken.
- Add the coconut milk beverage and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in vegan sour cream
- until it melts and is incorporated into the soup. Warm for about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot with corn bread or any crusty bread or crackers.
To Serve: When ready to eat, you may want to top the soup with crumbled vegetarian bacon, vegan cheese, diced onion, diced chili peppers, more vegan sour cream, etc., etc.