I can’t help it. Granola is the first food that comes to mind when Earth Day rolls around. But this isn’t your ordinary granola. What if I told you it was a naturally dairy-free, soy-free, oil-free, and gluten-free granola recipe? What if I said that you wouldn’t even need to buy gluten-free oats to make it gluten-free, and you could make it without any specialty ingredients? Yes, a simple crispy oat-free granola recipe that works for almost everyone. Well, what are you waiting for? Preheat that oven!
This Crispy Oat-Free Granola is the Ultimate Earth Day Breakfast
With just eight everyday earth-friendly ingredients (go for the organic crispy cereal people!), this easy gluten-free granola recipe begs to be customized to your personal tastes. Toss in some raisins or dried cranberries, sprinkle on some extra spices, use seeds instead of nuts, or eat it with a handful of mini chocolate chips.
Truthfully, I actually hesitated to call this recipe granola, since it is so light and crispy. In terms of texture, it is like a cross between cereal and granola, but we found it to be just filling enough to earn the granola label.
Special Diet Notes: Crispy Oat-Free Granola
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For nut-free, oat-free granola, you can substitute your favorite seeds, or blend of seeds, for the cashews, and sunflower seed butter or pumpkin seed butter for the nut butter.
For coconut-free, simply omit the coconut. You can optionally add dried fruit in its place.
- 3 cups crispy brown rice cereal (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- 2 cups cashews, chopped
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons cashew butter or other nut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
- Preheat your oven to 300ºF.
- In a large bowl, stir together the cereal and nuts.
- In a small pan, whisk together the maple syrup, nut butter, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Place the pan over medium-low heat, and bring the mixture to a low boil, while whisking. Simmer the mixture at a low boil, while whisking, for about a minute or two. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Pour the maple mixture over the cereal and nuts in your bowl. Sprinkle on the coconut and flaxseeds, and then gently stir to combine and coat everything with the gooey mixture.
- Spread the cereal mixture out on two cookie sheets (greased or lined with a silicone baking mat – I use the baking mat) or in two 9 x 13” glass baking pans. Keep in mind that metal (not lined with a silicone baking mat) will cook (and burn) the granola-cereal much faster than glass. You may want to reduce the oven temp to 275ºF if using metal.
- Bake the cereal for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring it every 10 minutes for even cooking, or until it is browned and crispy to your liking.
Feel free to sub your favorite nut(s) and/or seed(s) for the cashews in this recipe (sunflower seeds and sunflower seed butter work great for nut-free). We just love the creaminess of cashews.
Not a fan of coconut? Go ahead and omit it … and maybe up the flaxseeds to ¼ cup if desired. Toss in some chocolate chips and make it a snack mix that your family will devour.
This recipe is Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy free, Egg free, Gluten free, Peanut free, Soy free, Wheat free, Refined Sugar free, Oil free, optionally Tree Nut free
Pingback: Earth Day Oat-Free Crispy Maple Granola | STIR UP THE KITCHEN!!!