**Recipe Contest Runner-Up**
This recipe for curried sweet potatoes is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Darlene Crider. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Fresh onion, garlic, and ginger blend with Indian curry for a warm and fragrant vegetarian dish of curried sweet potatoes.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Curried Sweet Potatoes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally food allergy-friendly.
Alisa’s Note: I’ve added this to the Alisa’s Recipes section because I’ve personally trialed and love this recipe! (see my note for the amount of salt I used). The overall flavor is well-rounded and fulfilling. I do think these curried sweet potatoes would be even better with fresh spinach or simply over a bed of lightly steamed greens. In fact, I think the rice really is optional (we enjoyed it without!).
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1½ cups chicken broth or vegetable broth (for vegan)
- 1 11-ounce container So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- 6 ounces frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Salt, to taste (Alisa's note: I used about 1 teaspoon)
- Sauté onion, garlic, ginger, and olive oil in a large wok or non-stick skillet until vegetables are tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, warm briefly in skillet with vegetables, about 30 seconds.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes and broth to onion, garlic and spice mixture; mix well. Cover and simmer until crisp tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and spinach. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, until heated through and slightly thickened. Season with salt, to taste.
- Serve over hot, prepared basmati or jasmine rice, if desired.