This simple curry carrot soup recipe was shared with us over a decade ago, but I don’t have record of who sent it in! Because there are so few ingredients, it is important to choose those ingredients wisely. Make sure your carrots are nice and sweet, and that the curry powder is one you like. And feel free to tweak the seasonings to taste.
Curry Carrot Soup that’s Creamy, Healthy and just 6 Ingredients!
As mentioned above, it’s important that you steer clear of bitter carrots. The secret to this soup is fresh, crisp, just sweetened carrots. And I have a few more quick notes for guidance.
Make it a Meal
If you want to make this a light meal, you can swap 1/2 cup of pureed silken tofu for the milk beverage. That will add a touch of protein and a slightly rich finish.
The Perfect Side
I recommend serving this curry carrot soup with socca, an easy chickpea-flour bread that’s naturally vegan and gluten-free. It’s also a good source of plant-based protein and fiber. I also like these Indian Chickpea Flour Pancakes as an accompaniment. The recipe is similar to socca, but with a little more oomph!
Soup likes Salt
Also, take note that vegetable stock is typically unsalted. You might need to add what seems like a fair amount of salt to make the flavors pop. If you opt to use a salted vegetable broth, then you won’t need to add as much salt.
You can use canned carrots in a pinch. They are usually sweet, but often pre-cooked. With canned carrots you can just puree everything and then heat.
Special Diet Notes: Curry Carrot Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally nut-free.
- 6 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ cup plain dairy-free milk beverage or lite coconut milk, warmed
- 2 teaspoons curry powder, or to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Add the stock, carrots, onion, and curry to a pot over medium heat. Cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool 10 minutes.
- Transfer the stock and vegetables to your blender and puree until smooth
- Return the mixture back to the pan and stir in the milk beverage or coconut milk. Add salt to taste. Warm over low heat to serve.