Forget the fuss. This apple cinnamon crostata tastes like a delicious apple pie, but it takes minutes to make. It’s meant to be rustic, and even a little haphazard – that’s part of it’s tasty charm! You can enjoy a warm slice as an afternoon treat with coffee or tea, or serve it as the big dessert with dairy-free whipped cream or vegan ice cream.
Dairy-Free Apple Cinnamon Crostata so Easy, Anyone Can Bake It
If you aren’t great at crimping (join the club!) then this is the dessert for you. Crostatas are like free-from pies that don’t require any artistic baking skills. Because they use just one pie crust, they’re also great for smaller gatherings or households. This apple cinnamon crostata is still a full-size dessert, but it serves about 6 people generously, so even a party of two can easily polish it off in just a few days. And it is SO easy, why wouldn’t you make it? I even have a few tips and a video to ensure seamless results.
Pie Crust Tips
They used Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust to create this recipe, which is dairy free, egg-free, nut-free, and even soy-free. The only top allergen is wheat. But this product is not vegan because it uses lard.
A lot of store brand refrigerated or frozen pie crusts are actually vegan, but they often contain soy. If you use frozen pie crust, you will need to let it thaw before making this dairy-free apple cinnamon crostata.
And of course, you can use homemade pie dough! It’s a little more effort, but still quite simple. One of my favorites is this Buttery Flaky Dairy-Free Pie Crust Recipe, but this Easy Vegan Pie Dough is great if you need to use shortening. For a simple oil-based recipe (no coconut, palm, or shortening needed), my Easy Peasy Pie Crust Recipe in Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook can be rolled out to make this dairy-free apple cinnamon crostata.
If you do make your own pie crust, simply roll it out on a piece of parchment paper, and slide the parchment right onto your baking sheet. No preparation required. You can then add the apples and enclose it without having to make any delicate transfers.
This apple cinnamon crostata can be made with most types of sweetener.
- If you want a warmer taste of fall, you can substitute brown sugar for the sugar.
- The easiest refined sugar-free swap is coconut sugar. But maple syrup would also be delicious. If using a liquid sweetener, you can skip the water brushing. Just brush the sweetener right on the crust.
- I’m not an expert in sugar-free baking, so I can’t guarantee specific results. But I’ve heard that Swerve works very well in recipes like this.
Quick How To Video
Culinary.net provided the recipe, photos, and this helpful video for baking an apple cinnamon crostata.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Apple Cinnamon Crostata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 unbaked dairy-free pie crust (see the Pie Crust Tips in the post above)
- ½ cup + 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons non-GMO cornstarch (can sub arrowroot starch)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced apples (4 to 5 medium apples)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts (omit for nut-free)
- Water, for brushing
- Dairy-free whipped cream or ice cream, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ½ cup sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Add the apples and stir until evenly coated
- Place the unbaked pie crust flat on your prepared baking sheet.
- Spoon the apple mixture onto the center of the crust, and spread the mixture to about 2 inches from the edge of the crust.
- Fold the crust over mixture, pleating along the way.
- Brush the edge of the crust with water, and sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon sugar over the crust and apple filling.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the apple filling (if using).