Eating healthy certainly doesn’t mean you need to make sacrifices. This easy, delicious artichoke pâté is rich and satisfying, but made with simple, nutritious, dairy-free ingredients. You can serve it as an appetizer with vegetables and crackers, enjoy it on toast or a sandwich, or even toss it with hot pasta or rice. We originally shared this recipe over 15 years ago, but have given it a big update and added more information!
Easy Artichoke Pâté is a Rich, Paleo, and Plant-Based Spread
The combination of pine nuts and almonds gives this vegan pate a very creamy consistency. Pine nuts are quite oily, so they don’t need to be pre-soaked. You can leave the skin on the almonds, if you don’t mind the very slight flavor and color difference, but you still need to pre-soak them. If you don’t have any almonds on hand, you can substitute raw cashews. But they should still be soaked for about 4 to 6 hours before blending.
If you need an instant option, grind cashews or blanched almonds in your food processor until very finely ground or powdered. Blend in the remaining ingredients, and add more water as needed to get a smooth consistency. Since you aren’t pre-soaking the nuts, you will need to add more water.
Special Diet Notes: Artichoke Pâté
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, paleo, and possibly keto-friendly.
- ½ cup raw almonds
- 2 tablespoon raw pine nuts
- ¾ cup artichoke hearts, quartered
- 2 tablespoon water, plus additional for soaking the almonds
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place the almonds in a small bowl, cover them with water, and place them in the refrigerator overnight, or for 12 hours.
- Drain the almonds, and squeeze each almond between your thumb and forefinger to remove the skin. Place the almonds on a towel to dry.
- Put the almonds and pine nuts in your blender or food processor, and process them for 1 to 2 minutes, or until finely ground.
- Scrape down the sides of the container, and add the artichoke hearts, water, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Process for 1 to 2 minutes to make a smooth puree.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, as needed.
- Transfer the mixture to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.