You could call it a coffee smoothie, a banana café frappe, or even a dairy-free frappuccino. No matter the name, this cool drink is a delicious option for coffee lovers. And we think it’s better than Starbucks! This dairy-free blended banana iced coffee is made with fresh banana, instead of syrups, uses your favorite brewed coffee, and is even optionally topped with dairy-free chocolate shavings.
Dairy-Free Blended Banana Iced Coffee that’s Better than a Frappuccino
This dairy-free blended banana iced coffee or frappe recipe was shared with us by the Dole Food Company. Though we have adapted it slightly. Here are a few more tips to help make this the best coffee frappe for your taste.
- Frozen Banana Option: In this recipe, the banana is pureed from fresh and then lightly frozen. If you want more of an instant blended banana iced coffee, you can freeze the bananas ahead. Place the frozen bananas in your blender and let them sit for about 5 minutes to soften slightly. Add the milk beverage before you start the blender. If your blended has difficulty, blend in a little of the coffee or some more milk beverage, to help get things moving.
- Sweetener Options: Powdered sugar creates the most seamless, coffee shop experience, but don’t hesitate to use your favorite coffee sweetener in its place. Most liquid (honey, maple syrup) and granular sweeteners will work quite well.
- Spice Alternative: Cardamom is a unique and delicious addition to this dairy-free blended banana iced coffee. But I realize not everyone has it in their spice rack. In a pinch, you can substitute ground cinnamon, or use about 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in its place.
- Best Milk Beverage: The chefs at Dole like to use unsweetened almond milk in this recipe. But oat milk, coconut milk beverage, coconut milk, or other milky alternative should be delicious. Just use whatever you love in your coffee – it could even be creamer!
Special Diet Notes: Blended Banana Iced Coffee
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. It’s even optionally paleo. Just be sure to choose the sweetener and milk alternative that suit your dietary needs.
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and cut crosswise into thirds
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar (see post above for options)
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, or to taste
- 4 cups brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 tablespoons shaved dairy-free dark chocolate or "milk" chocolate (optional)
- Add the bananas, sugar, cardamom, and vanilla extract to your blender and puree until smooth. With the blender running, slowly add the milk beverage.
- Pour the banana mixture into a freezer safe container and freeze for 1 hour, or until almost solid.
- Divide the coffee between 4 (12-ounce) glasses. Stir in the banana mixture and sprinkle with chocolate, if desired.