Move over frozen French fries! These freshly made dairy-free broccoli cheese tater tots are healthier and far more flavorful. Bake up a batch for the big game, for your child’s birthday party, or simply for lunch or dinner. They’re a great handheld for tailgating or little hands, and are a fun way to eat more vegetables.
Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Tater Tots are Perfectly Baked Bites
Dole is kicking off a “Healthier by Dole” campaign, focused on nutritious alternatives to iconic dishes. They’ll be sharing various recipes for special occasions, starting with tailgate ideas for the big game. We immediately latched on to these creative dairy-free broccoli cheese tater tots. The recipe is packed with plant-based ingredients, but it does call for one store-bought alternative. Just in case you need a little help with it, I’ve got some tips for brands and substitutions.
Dairy-Free Parmesan Options
Using store-bought shreds, like Trader Joe’s, Daiya, Whole Foods 365, Follow Your Heart, or Violife not only adds flavor, it also helps make these tots more cohesive. If you don’t have easy access to store-bought, you can make your own basic dairy-free parmesan, which will still add delicious flavor. Or, you can omit it and add salt and a little more nutritional yeast, to taste. The latter two options won’t help as much with cohesiveness.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Broccoli Cheese Tater Tots
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs, divided (use gluten-free, if needed)
- ½ cup grated vegan Parmesan-style cheese (see post above)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Oil spray
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- Place the potatoes in a medium microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and heat in microwave oven on high for 4 minutes or until slightly tender. Let the potatoes cool slightly, until they can be handled.
- Shred the potatoes with a box grater or in a food processor with grater attachment. Transfer potatoes to a large bowl.
- Pulse the broccoli, ⅓ cup breadcrumbs, cheese alternative, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt in a food processor until almost smooth. Stir in the potatoes.
- Place the remaining ⅔ cup breadcrumbs in a wide, shallow dish. Shape the potato mixture into 24 (1½-inch) tots. Gently roll the tots in the breadcrumbs and place on your prepared pan. Spray both sides of the tots with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake the tots for 35 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
More Dairy-Free Handheld Bites