This rich, fudgy, dairy-free brownie bars recipe was shared with us by my friend Janelle when she blogged at Talk of Tomatoes. Like classic brownies, they’re made with oil, not butter. It results in a richer chocolate flavor and dense, moist crumb.
Special Diet Notes: Brownie Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free brownie bars, you can substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour. But let the brownies cool completely before cutting. They might be a little more crumbly.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (can sub other nuts or omit for nut-free)
- ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease an 8-inch square baking pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, nuts, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Evenly spread the batter into your prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Cut and serve immediately with dairy-free ice cream.