This dairy-free chocolate chip pecan pie recipe is a delicious twist on a classic holiday recipe. It’s insanely easy to throw together – just stir the filling, dump it into the crust, and bake! And as an added bonus, it offers fudgy chocolate in every bite.
Dairy-Free Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie Doubles Down on Dessert
This dairy-free chocolate chip pecan pie recipe was shared with us sixteen years ago by a reader who chose to remain anonymous. We’ve since updated the recipe and have answers to your FAQs.
Can I Use All White or All Brown Sugar in the Filling?
Many pecan pie recipes use just white sugar, so it’s definitely fine to do this. If you use all brown sugar, the pie will be a little darker and sweeter. You can optionally reduce the sugar a bit, if desired.
Can I Use Maple Syrup in Place of the Corn Syrup?
You can, it’s just more expensive. The pie will also have a more distinct maple flavor, as you might expect.
Can I Use Honey in Place of the Corn Syrup?
Yes, this is also a suitable substitute. I would use a light honey, rather than a dark honey, which is less strong in taste.
Which Chocolate Chips Do You Recommend?
Where Can I Get a Dairy-Free Pie Crust?
Most frozen pie shells at the grocery store are “acccidentally” dairy free! You can also make your own with our dairy-free buttery pie crust recipe.
Will The Filling Fit in a Regular Pie Shell?
It should just barely fit, but the original recipe was actually baked in 2 regular 9-inch pie shells. If using two regular pie shells, I would personally use 1 1/2 cups pecans.
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Pecan Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For an egg-free pecan pie see our Vegan Pecan Pie Recipe. You can make it a chocolate chip version by replacing some of the pecans (1/2 to 1 cup) with dairy-free chocolate chips.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup light corn syrup (can sub golden syrup or cane syrup)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, softened
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (can sub a gluten-free flour blend)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips (like Enjoy Life)
- 1 to 1½ cups chopped or whole pecans, as desired
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked deep dish dairy-free pie crust (gluten-free, if needed)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Put the eggs, corn syrup, cane sugar, buttery spread, brown sugar, flour, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with hand mixer until smooth.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pecans until evenly combined.
- Scrape the pecan mixture into your pie crust and level the mixture out.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until set. If the crust begins to brown too much, you can tent the edge with foil.
- Let the pie cool completely before slicing. The pie can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 2 days.