This dairy-free brownies recipe (with coconut and coconut-free options) is a house favorite. It’s a sample dessert from my flagship book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook, that I couldn’t resist sharing online. I like my brownies to be soft and fudgy (not cakey!), but with the perfect light crackle on top. Consequently, these naturally dairy-free brownies are rich, indulgent, chocolaty, and positively delicious.
The Best Dairy-Free Brownies with Various Recipe Options
And did I mention the recipe is easy and versatile, too? It takes minutes to pull together, and you can customize it with or without your favorite add ins. I’ve included one of my favorite variations, in addition to gluten-free options. Yes, I’ve made these many times with a several different flours.
To get the perfect consistency, I do use eggs in this recipe. If you mistake eggs for dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy? But, if you have a copy of Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook 2nd Edition there is an egg-free and vegan option in it! All of the recipes in that book have egg-free options. Some other egg-free options include these Double Chocolate Vegan Brownies or these Gluten-Free Fudgy Vegan Brownies.
Special Diet Notes: The Best Dairy-Free Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- ¾ cup flour (see Flour Note below)
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut (adds richness, but can omit)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup extra-light olive oil, melted coconut oil, or your favorite baking oil
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ to ½ cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional but recommended!)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease an 8x8-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, coconut (if using), cocoa powder, and salt until no cocoa lumps remain.
- Put the sugar, oil, and vanilla in a mixing bowl, and whisk or beat with a hand mixer to combine. Add the eggs and whisk or beat to combine. Stir in the flour blend until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips (if using).
- Evenly spread the batter into your prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. It might have some melted chocolate on it from the chocolate chips.
- Let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting the brownies into squares.
Peanut Butter Brownies Option: Add 2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter with the eggs. I like this version with the coconut, too!