This dairy-free Coconut Ice Cream recipe was originally shared with us by the online Thai supermarket, ImportFood.com. They actually call it Thai Ice Cream, due to the pure coconut influence and classic preparation.
Special Diet Notes: Thai Coconut Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
For an egg-free and vegan version, enjoy this Basic Coconut Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe.
- 2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- 2 cups full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream
- 1 cup water or coconut milk beverage
- 2 whole eggs + 2 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or rosewater (optional)
- Pinch salt
- Saute the coconut in a skillet over medium heat until lightly toasted.
- Heat the coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat, until hot but not boiling. This should take just a few minutes.
- In a small bowl beat the eggs and yolks. Gently whisk in the sugar, vanilla or rosewater, and salt.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a double boiler over gently boiling water. Slowly whisk in the hot coconut milk, stirring until the mixture thickens to form a continuous slightly sticky coat on the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool. Then transfer the mixture to a metal ice cream tray or similar container and place it in the coldest part of the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove to a food processor and beat slowly until smooth. Pack the soft ice cream into a freezer-safe container and freeze until set.