This recipe for coconut lime pie is a “sweet” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Brianna Jacobs. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Coconut Milk Beverage by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Brianna says, “This is a recipe that my family and I love during the summer. The So Delicious coconut milk beverage pairs beautifully with the fresh lime juice.”
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Coconut Lime Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just be sure you select your graham cracker crust wisely, as some brands contain dairy or other top allergens.
For a gluten-free and dairy-free coconut lime pie, there are gluten-free crusts from brands such as Mi-Del, or you can make your own with this recipe (which includes a vegan option). Simply use gluten-free grahams, like our favorite, Kinnikinnick.
For vegan and vegetarian, alternatives to gelatin do exist! We haven’t tested it in this recipe, but many people swear by vegan jel.
- 2½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage, divided
- 3 envelopes gelatin (about 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon if using Great Lakes)
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 6-ounce container So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- 1 large dairy-free pre-made graham cracker crust (see post above for gluten-free option)
- Pour 1 ½ cups coconut milk beverage into a small saucepan. Sprinkle the three gelatin over the surface of the milk and then let sit for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the milk and the gelatin together and add the ½ cup of sugar. Place the mixture over medium heat on a stove top, stirring constantly, until gelatin is dissolved and the milk begins to steam. Do not boil milk.
- Once the milk begins to steam, remove the pan from the heat. Rub the mixture between two fingers to ensure that the gelatin and sugar have dissolved. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut milk yogurt with the remaining 1 cup coconut milk. Add lime juice and the warm milk and gelatin mixture to the bowl. Whisk well.
- Ensure that the custard is at room temperature before pouring into the prepared pie crust.
- Refrigerate pie overnight or until firm.