I get requests aplenty for dairy-free condensed cream of mushroom soup, so you shouldn’t be surprised to find that I have more than one handy recipe in my arsenal! This version is so easy and so fantastic, that it’s featured on the bottle of Growing Naturals Rice Milk Powder. Yes, I said dairy-free milk powder – and it’s vegan, gluten-free, and free of top allergens (including soy!). You will want to get your hands on this stuff for the holidays and beyond.
I start this dairy-free condensed cream of mushroom soup with a quick mix that you can whip up and keep on hand for a truly instant recipe. It is a simple blend of rice milk powder, starch, salt, and spices.
From there, I saute some mushrooms (see the recipe note for an even speedier options) in olive oil, whisk in the mix and water and let it bubble for just a minute or two. It thicken VERY quickly and aggressively.
This dairy-free condensed cream of mushroom soup can be used in recipes, or thinned for a quick soup or soup base.
Choosing Your Dairy-Free Milk Powder
I originally created this dairy-free condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe for Growing Naturals – it went on their rice milk powder product package! Sadly, they have indefinitely put production of the rice milk powder on hold. Until it comes back, you should be able to use another brand of dairy-free milk powder in this recipe. Look for products like Namaste Rice Milk Powder, Better Than Milk Rice Powder, or Now Foods Soy Milk Powder.
For my go-to, quick, easy, “spot-on for the canned version” recipe, get my flagship book, Go Dairy Free: The Ultimate Guide and Cookbook (2nd Edition now available!). That book also includes my Condensed Cream of Celery Soup Option and a brand new Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe with vegan option.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk powder (see my note at the top of this post)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch or potato starch
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms
- Whisk together the RiceDrink+ Powder, starch, ¾ teaspoon salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- When ready to use, place the dry mix and water in a blender, and mix for 1 minute.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the mushroom pieces and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the liquid.
- When it begins to bubble, continue to cook for 1 to 2 minutes while whisking continuously. It will thicken significantly.
- Remove from heat and season to taste with additional salt, if desired.
- Use in recipes or thin with up to 1 cup of water for a base crème soup.