Dairy-free cornbread is such a comforting baked good. It’s hearty and satisfying with fall chili, on Thanksgiving menus, or even served for summer picnics. Plus, it’s very easy to whip up, and can be customized to suit your meal and your tastes. You can jazz it up with diced jalapenos, red peppers, corn kernels, or herbs. Nonetheless, it’s delicious as is, with buttery spread, honey, or made into a cornbread stuffing.
Special Diet Notes: Golden Dairy-Free Cornbread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free, dairy-free cornbread, you can swap your favorite baking gluten-free flour blend for the all-purpose flour. I’ve made similar dairy-free cornbread recipes with gluten-free flour and they work quite well.
For egg-free, dairy-free cornbread, you can use your favorite egg substitute. Aquafaba or powdered egg replacer tend to be the most seamless vegan options in recipes like this. However, I’ve seen wonderful, moist vegan cornbread recipes that use a generous 1/3 cup applesauce or pumpkin puree in place of the 2 eggs. Please note that swapping out both the eggs and the gluten would more dramatically affect the results and may need more adjustments.
If you prefer to use a more natural sweetener, you can swap 1/3 cup honey or agave nectar for the sugar, but stir it in with the wet ingredients instead of the dry.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and grease an 8x11-inch or 9x9-inch baking dish
- Place the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk beverage, oil, and eggs.
- Pour the egg mixture into the cornmeal mixture, and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes.
More Corny Sides
4-Ingredient Dairy-Free Corn Pudding (nut-free & optionally soy-free)
Blueberry Cornbread Loaves w/ Blueberry Butter (optionally gluten-free, nut-free & soy-free)
Creamy Golden Corn Soup (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)