The recipe (and photo above) was created by Becca Buckley of One Fine Tomato (note that I’ve included it in the “Alisa’s Recipes” section simply to share that it is a recipe I have tested in my own kitchen, recommend, and included notes on).
Becca uses So Delicious Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage in this easy cream of celery root soup to thin, but maintain a creamy consistency. We loved the recipe twist – none of us had tried celery root and it was surprisingly delicious even though we aren’t big fans of celery – plus, Becca opted to add chili powder and 5 spice for a touch of complimentary warm spice.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Cream of Celery Root Soup
By ingredients, this recipe for cream of celery root soup is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and all around allergy-friendly. Just be sure to choose your broth appropriately to fit your dietary needs.
Alisa’s Notes: Becca uses fresh herbs, which is nice, but we also liked a swirl of unsweetened dairy-free coconut milk yogurt. It adds a little sour cream-like contrast (picture below is from my kitchen). We also preferred 1/4 teaspoon 5-spice powder and used regular (not low-sodium) broth with that exact amount of salt. It wasn’t low-sodium, but it was full of flavor. If you don’t have 5-spice available, I think this cream of celery root soup would be just as delicious with the chili powder alone.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 2 medium celery root (about 2 lbs total), peeled and cut into ½" pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and ½ teaspoon salt, sauté until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add chili powder and 5-spice powder and sauté for 1 minute. Add celery root, sauté for another minute.
- Add broth, and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer, cover, and cook until celery root is tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender. Transfer back to pot and stir in coconut milk beverage, remaining salt, and pepper. Add more salt to taste (depends largely on how much salt is in the broth you use.)