This wonderful dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is a “main course” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Kelie Escobar. To make it creamy, she uses everyday thickeners and Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free.
For a soy-free and dairy-free cream of mushroom soup, choose your margarine wisely. Brands such as Earth Balance have offerings that suit both dietary needs.
- 1 8-ounce carton white mushrooms
- 1 small to medium onion
- 5 tablespoons non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 2 cups chicken broth (see note above for vegan option)
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice mushrooms and onions and sauté in margarine until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have shrunk in size and turned dark.
- Whisk in the flour until well incorporated, then add broth and coconut milk beverage. Bring to boil, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve. Can be used as a standalone soup for a meal or in other dishes. Very tasty and easy!