This wonderful dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is a “main course” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Kelie Escobar. To make it creamy, she uses everyday thickeners and Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
This dairy-free cream of mushroom soup comes together in mere minutes. Note that the image above is stock photography, but it does depict the end result nicely.
Reader Raves: Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Sometimes we get recipe feedback via social media. When I see it, I include it here with the recipe!
It was AMAZING! Mushroom soup has always been my favourite and I can’t believe it took me so long to make a homemade version. I cut my flour to 3 T as I like it a bit thinner. I used Earths Own unsweetened almond milk and instead added flour to my warmed veggie broth before I added it to the pot. A new favourite recipe! Thank You!! ❤❤ – Rosalie C. (via Facebook)
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free.
For a soy-free and dairy-free cream of mushroom soup, choose your margarine wisely. Brands such as Earth Balance have offerings that suit both dietary needs.
- 1 8-ounce carton white mushrooms
- 1 small to medium onion
- 5 tablespoons non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 2 cups chicken broth (see note above for vegan option)
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dice mushrooms and onions and sauté in margarine until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms have shrunk in size and turned dark.
- Whisk in the flour until well incorporated, then add broth and coconut milk beverage. Bring to boil, whisking constantly until the mixture is thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve. Can be used as a standalone soup for a meal or in other dishes. Very tasty and easy!