Special Diet Notes: 5-Minute Apple Crisp
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 can (15-ounce) apple filling
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ cup granola - store bought or homemade
- Heat pie filling in a small pot over medium-low heat.
- Season with nutmeg and spoon into dessert cups.
- Top with brown sugar, followed by the Kashi.
- Top with scoop of non-dairy vanilla ice cream (optional) .
You can make your own filling. In a medium saucepan, combine 2 Tbsp. apple cider, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 Tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 cinnamon stick. Add 1-2 pounds peeled, cored and chopped (firm) apples. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Taste for sweetness and add more sugar if needed. Simmer to preferred thickness/chunkiness.
Food Allergy Note: Whether or not this recipe is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and/or nut-free will depend on the granola you use. For a complete free-from version, try Enjoy Life Granola.