Beautiful Angel Cake
- 1 cup sifted cake and pastry flour
- 1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1-1/2 cups egg whites, (about 12) at room temperature
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Sift together flour and ¾ cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy; add lemon juice, cream of tartar and salt.
- Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 2 T at a time, beating until mixture is very stiff and glossy.
- Sift flour mixture over egg whites in 4 batches, carefully folding in each batch until well blended. Fold in vanilla. Pour into ungreased 10-inch tube pan and run a spatula through the mixture to eliminate any large air pockets.
- Bake in 350° F oven for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Turn pan upside down and let cake hang until cool. Remove from pan and frost with your favourite glaze or frosting, if desired. (I like to cover mine with chocolate whipped cream, as I did here).