Special Diet Notes: Apple Latkes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour, any flour, or quick oats, a little more if needed
- 6 large apples, mackintosh would be best, unpeeled and grated coarse
- ½ cup sugar or sucanat
- ½ cup golden raisins, optional
- 3 tablespoon rum or brandy
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Pinch nutmeg
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet, to come up about ⅓ inch. Let it get really hot, and maintain the temperature at medium high.
- Mix all ingredients gently without squeezing so as not to extract moisture. Add a little flour or oats to form a smooth dough. Form small patties and throw in hot oil, or drop by tablespoons. Fry till golden, about 3 minutes on each side. Take out and drain on paper towels. Serve hot, alone or with plain yogurt, vanilla ice cream, or maple syrup.