This wonderfully easy grilled pineapple dessert is a bit like bananas foster, but without butter, with more spices, and with fresh pineapple instead of bananas. It’s a naturally dairy-free, gluten-free top allergen-free, and vegan-friendly, treat for adults! If preparing for kids, you can substitute fresh pineapple juice for the rum, and perhaps add a little buttery spread to the sauce as it simmers, to bring the flavors together.
Special Diet Notes: Allergy-Friendly Grilled Pineapple Dessert
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, oil-free, vegan, plant-based, top allergen-free, and vegetarian.
For paleo grilled pineapple, you can substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
- 1 fresh pineapple
- ¼ cup rum
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Peel the pineapple and cut out the center core. Slice the pineapple into 8 rings, and place them in a shallow glass dish or resealable plastic bag.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the rum, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Pour the mixture over the pineapple, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour, or overnight.
- Preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Grill the pineapple rings for 15 minutes, turning once, or until the outside is dry and char marked.
- Pour the remaining marinade in a small pot, and simmer for a few minutes to thicken it slightly.
- Serve the pineapple with the sauce on the side, and see below for more serving options.