Special Diet Notes: Basic Vanilla Coconut Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 cups canned coconut milk (full fat)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ vanilla bean, slit lengthwise, and scraped* (optional)
- Stir the coconut milk and sugar together until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the salt and vanilla.
- Pour into prepared ice cream maker and let churn.
- For more of a coconut flavor, lessen the vanilla or leave out the bean, and add some coconut.
- For orange sherbet, instead of vanilla, add 1 TBSP of orangel oil, and some orange zest. If you make a batch of this, and a batch of vanilla, you have the makings for a Creamsicle! The kids love this combo.
- You could also use lemon oil and zest, throw in berries, etc.