Quick Quinoa Flakes, like Norquin brand, are ready in two minutes and offers an excellent protein breakfast that’s easy and portable. But they are great for more than breakfast cereal. This Blackberry Pear Crumble uses quinoa flakes in place of the oats for a gluten-free, oat-free dessert.
Special Diet Notes: Blackberry Pear Crumble
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian
- 1⅓ cups brown rice flour
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 10 tablespoons cold unsalted dairy-free margarine, cut into small pieces, more for the baking dish
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds firm Forelle or D’Anjou pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine brown rice flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and quinoa flakes.
- Using fingers or two knives, blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Toss frozen blackberries with cornstarch, pears, sugar and lemon juice gently to combine.
- Transfer fruit to a buttered 12-inch baking dish.
- Spread crumble topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit juices bubble, about 45 minutes.