Cate O’Malley, Kids Cuisine – When my son, Nicholas, wants something sweet, I have no problem with it, because he eats fairly well for the most part. That being said, I try to find smaller sweet treats for him since he doesn’t need the full-blown version. His sweet tooth tends to be pretty low to begin with, so he’s happy with mini sweets just as much. I was browsing Rachael Ray’s website the other day, and came across these Mini Brownie Bites. How adorable are they? And with 48 out of an 8×8 square pan, it is perfect for mini mouths.
Special Diet Notes: Brownie Bites
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine (such as two sticks of Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces chocolate chips [use non-dairy dark or semi-sweet]
- ⅓ cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tube store-bought decorating icing [be sure to check the label for dairy-free]
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with enough foil to let flaps hang over two sides; grease the foil.
- In a double boiler, melt together the margarine and unsweetened chocolate, stirring occasionally. Let cool slightly, then beat in the sugar, eggs and vanilla with a wooden spoon until glossy. Stir in the flour and salt. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until the top cracks and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out moist, about 50 minutes. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate chips in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Pour the coconut milk over the chocolate chips and let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth. Pour the warm glaze over the cooled brownies and tilt the pan to coat evenly. Refrigerate until the glaze is set, about 2 hours. Using the foil flaps, gently remove the chilled brownies from the pan and cut into 1-inch squares. Decorate the Brownie Bites with the icing.