We discovered this cherry crisp recipe on prevention.com. If using very sweet, ripe cherries, you could get away with less added sugar. This would make a great summer dessert served with a scoop of coconut milk ice cream!
Special Diet Notes: Cherry Crisp
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 pound cherries
- 1 cup dairy free margarine or shortening (such as Earth Balance)
- 1¼ cup raw unrefined sugar
- ¼ cup unbleached white flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Dairy free ice cream of choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine cherries, ½ cup of the margarine, and ¾ cup of the sugar in a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the cherries are soft and tender. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cherries to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish.
- Sift together the flours, the remaining ½ cup of sugar, and the almond extract. Using your fingers or a pastry cutter, work the remaining margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Spread the flour mixture over the cherries and bake for 12 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.