We have altered this cherry dump cake recipe ever so slightly. It originated with Todd Johns of Just Baking. Brands of cake mix such as Cherrybrook Kitchen and Duncan Hines may suit dairy-free and vegan diets.
“This dessert is a family favorite and is so easy to make. The hardest part is waiting one hour for it to bake. The most amazing part of the dessert is the topping which is just a dry cake mix. It’s one of those creations that makes you wonder who thinks of these things, but then realize that you are glad that they did.”
Special Diet Notes: Cherry Dump Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 can crushed pineapple
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 1 box dairy-free yellow cake mix
- ½ cup pecans
- 1 stick butter alternative (such as Earth Balance)
- Grease an oblong cake pan.
- Dump in crushed pineapple, undrained.
- Dump in cherry pie filling. Spread over pineapple, but try not to stir together.
- Dump in cake mix - dry. Spread over pie filling. Do not stir.
- Sprinkle pecans over top.
- Slice butter stick alternative over top. Do not stir.
- Bake 325 degrees for one hour.
- Top with dairy free "ice cream."
- Serve warm or cold.