This fantastically simple chocolate chip nut butter cake recipe comes from the Vegetarian Kitchen…
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Nut Butter Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For nut-free: swap the nut butter for Sunbutter or your favorite seed butter
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup natural granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup applesauce
- ½ cup dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ cup natural style peanut butter, or other nut butter like cashew or almond, at room temperature
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup raisins, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- Combine the applesauce, rice milk, and peanut butter in another bowl and whisk together until smooth. Pour into the flour mixture and stir together until fairly well blended, then use a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and optional raisins. Pour into a lightly oiled 9-inch round or square cake pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden on top, and a knife inserted into the center comes out with chocolate, but no batter.
- Allow to cool to room temperature or just warm, then cut into squares or wedges to serve.