This chocolate frosting recipe was reprinted with permission from “What’s to Eat? The Milk-Free, Egg-Free, Nut-Free Food Allergy Cookbook” by Linda Marienhoff Coss, available at www.FoodAllergyBooks.com.
“This is a basic chocolate frosting for layer cakes and cupcakes.” – Linda Coss
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
For vegan / plant-based: use maple syrup or agave nectar in place of honey.
- ½ cup (1 stick) dairy-free margarine, room temperature
- 2-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup dairy-free 100% cocoa powder
- 2-1/2 tablespoons water
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place margarine, honey, and vanilla in mixing bowl. Sift cocoa into this bowl. Using electric beaters at low speed, cream these ingredients together. Add water and sift powdered sugar into mixture. Beat with electric beaters on medium speed until well mixed. Use frosting to frost cake.
- To assemble a layer cake: place one layer of cake in center of serving platter, upside down (so that the flat side of the cake, which was on the bottom of the cake pan, is facing you). Using a frosting spatula, spread top of this layer with frosting. Place remaining layer on top of this, right-side up. Spread frosting over top and sides of entire cake. Serve.