Dreena Burton, an incredibly talented cookbook author, was kind enough to allow us to post this wonderful recipe for vegan chocolate pumpkin pie from her latest cookbook, Eat, Drink & Be Vegan. For a nut-free and/or soy-free pie, read the ingredients on your chocolate chips and pie crust carefully.
“This pie is rich and decadent, so a little slice will do. Serve portions with Celestial Cream (p.29), Macadamia Maple Butter Cream (p.201), or vanilla non-dairy ice cream.”
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Pumpkin Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1¼ cups non-dairy chocolate chips
- 1 can (14-oz/415-ml) organic pumpkin pie mix (I use Farmer’s Market Organic brand)
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- ⅛ teaspoon (rounded) sea salt
- 1 prepared chocolate cookie-crust pie crust (see note)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy chocolate chips, optional (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220ºC). Fit a metal or glass bowl over a saucepan on medium-low heat and filled with several inches of water (or use a double-boiler). Add 1¼ cups chocolate chips to bowl and stir occasionally as water simmers (not boils), letting chocolate melt. While chocolate is melting, in a food processor, add pumpkin pie mix (scraping out everything from can), sugar, arrowroot powder, and salt. Purée until very smooth, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Once chocolate is melted, add to food processor and purée with pumpkin mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Pour mixture into pie crust (scraping out all filling) and tip pie back and forth gently to evenly distribute filling. Sprinkle on 2 tbsp chocolate chips.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350ºF (180ºC) and bake for another 35 minutes, until pie is set (the center may be soft, but it will set further as it cools). Carefully remove from oven and place on cooling rack. Let cool completely before
- slicing, refrigerating if desired.
WHEAT-FREE OPTION: Use a spelt pastry crust.