- 1 large orange, cut in small pieces
- 1 large cooking apple, cored and roughly chopped
- 3oz dairy-free spread or coconut butter
- 4oz nut or seed butter
- 4oz each raisins, currants, sultanas and chopped softened prunes and softened apricots
- 2 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 1 level tsp each ground mace and cloves
- 2 large eggs or 3 heaped tsp gluten and wheat-free baking powder
- 4oz rice flour
- 5oz buckwheat flour
- ⅓ cup brandy, sweet sherry or fruit juice or ¾ cup if you are not using eggs.
- Heat the oven to 160C/325F/Gas mark 3.
- Whizz the orange and apple in a food processor until chopped small. Add the spread or coconut butterand the nut or seed butter and whizz again till well amalgamated.
- Turn into a large bowl.
- Add the dried fruit and spices followed by the eggs, flours and brandy, sherry or juice and mix thoroughly.
- Line the base and side of a 8 inch cake tin with greased greaseproof paper and spoon in the mixture.
- Bake for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Partially cool in the tin and then on a rack. Eat as it is, or ice for the full Christmas experience.
3357cals – 73g protein
139g total fat – 14g sat / 31g mono / 18g poly
448g carbohydrate of which 263g sugar
34g fibre – 1383mg sodium / 3.5g salt