A perfect, basic apple crisp recipe. Add raisins or cranberries if you like. I use Granny Smith apples but you can use whatever kind you’ve got.
Special Diet Notes: Cinnamon Apple Crisp
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 pounds (about 8) apples, peeled, cored, quartered and cut in ¼ inch slices
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder (corn or potato starch would be an ok substitution)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- tiny pinch cloves (about 1/16 teaspoon)
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoonspure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl squeeze lemon juice over sliced apples. Add the arrow root and spices making sure all apples are coated.
- Move apple mixture to the baking dish and drizzle the maple syrup over it.
- Cover with tin foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the topping. Sift dry ingredients together, and in a seperate bowl, mix wet ingredients well. Fold wet into dry mixing with a fork as you go along, until well coated and crumbly. When apples are done baking, remove from oven and toss, then flatten them evenly with the back of a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apple mixture and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until top feels crispy.
- Serve warm with vanilla dairy-free ice cream (coconut or rice-based for soy-free).